Thursday, August 7, 2014

Thirsty Thursday | IPA Day 2014


Yes, it’s finally here!! It’s like the Christmas celebration you wished for but with beer and hops! Like many craft beer lovers I am a big fan of the bitter, delicious and bold IPA. Every August 7th for the last few years has become IPA Day to those of you not in the know and this year it just happened to fall on a Thirsty Thursday. How cool is that!?



When I conduct beer tastings I often get met with the question, “What does IPA stand for?” To my knowledge this is the response I normally give…. Back when Brittan ruled the seven seas and had colonies all over the world (specifically in India) the passengers of the ships making those long voyages needed to make their beer last and when I mean last, I mean not go bad or spoil on them. It had been learned that hops are a natural preservative so brewers would hop the heck out of the beer to make sure the beer could make said trips to India… hence this is where the name India Pale Ale derives from.



I thought I would toss in a few images of some of the IPA’s I have shared to date on My Northwoods Life, including one of my all time favorites Bell’s Hopslam though there are many other great IPAs that I simply haven’t gotten around to posting about yet like: Sprecher IPA2, Three Floyds Dreadnaught and Ballistic Point Sculpin. Plus there are many others that I have yet to try that I am dying to get my hands on like Russian River’s Pliny the Elder and The Alchemist’s Heady Topper

Hop you have a great 2014 IPA Day, what will you be drinking??


Credits | Author: Krista & Photography: Fornear Photo

2 comments:

  1. I really love IPA!! It's my favorite type of beer! Hopslam is my favorite - but I really enjoy a few others local to me in Minnesota - the Bent Paddle one you pictured, plus Surly Furious and Fulton Sweet Child O Vine top my list. I have been fortunate enough to try Pliny the Elder too - it's amaaaaazing. I hope you find some soon. I am not sure what hoppy beer we have in our fridge right now (such a crime) but I know we will enjoy something tonight of the hop variety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surly Furious is amazing and I have heard nothing but awesome things about Fulton Brewery!! Enjoy the day and have a hoppy IPA Day!

    ReplyDelete