Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Turntable Tuesday | Joy Division, Closer


I will never forget where I was when I first heard a Joy Division song.... it was in fact Atrocity Exhibition this very first song on Closer. I was in a record store hunting for albums and I just couldn't get over how it seemed both new and completely familiar to me all at the same time, something I knew I would have to have in our collection. 



If you are a music lover you most likely have this in your collection, in fact it is listed in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die. Though none of the songs besides Isolation were really breakout hits from the album itself if you play this record from start to finish it is a masterpiece of work. Really, it isn't even a question. Not to advocate CD's but the 2007 remastered work does include a song by Joy Division that everyone is certain to know... Love Will Tear Us Apart.



The haunting sounds of this album is a tribute to the late Ian Curtis who sadly committed suicide two months prior to Closer's release. Like me, when you hear Joy Division and it sounds familiar, there is a reason for that. After Ian's passing the remaining members went onto form the wildly successful 80's band New Order. It's funny when I am in a mellow or melancholy type of mood this is EXACTLY what I want to listen to, so if you find yourself in that mood on occasion this album might be the thing for you too!



Credits | Author: Krista & Photography: Fornear Photo

2 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful album. It's around 10x better played on a turntable. Just something about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I couldn't agree more!! Like I said, it's just hauntingly beautiful!!!

      Delete