Thursday, April 16, 2015

Thirsty Thursday | Chicory Stout, Dogfish Head


So I am not sure if those of you who read the blog are familiar with the app Untappd or not, but in the beer world it's kind of a big deal! I was a bit of a later comer to the app but got on the bandwagon very quickly and never looked back. Basically it serves as a way to track and rate the beers you drink. Clearly I have been drinking beer for years so I had a lot of catching up to do but I am near a VERY big milestone on the app... which is having my 1000th unique beer. In fact, I have been doing a top 10 countdown and I only have 2 left to achieve this goal!


Since I have been doing a countdown and planning what my 1000th beer will be I have been trying to choose some unique beers in the process. Dogfish Head Chicory Stout might not be the most unique beer BUT this is actually one of the first beers we cellared in 2011 so it seemed very fitting to throw it into the mix and finally drink it!


Aging beer can have some amazing and poor results alike. You would never do this with a plain old beer (aka Miller Lite) but with dark or high alcohol content beer kept in a relatively dry, cool and light free environment they can be a really great experience!  


The Chicory Stout was quite tasty but lacked a bit on the carbonation (a result of the aging). This beer has a nice dry roast and chocolatey flavor and is one of the first beers ever brewed by Dogfish Head and in fact is no longer in production for bottling (available draft only now). I am so glad we got to enjoy it and am really excited for my 1000th beer, cheers!

Credits | Author: Krista & Photography: Fornear Photo

3 comments:

  1. Nice choice! I haven't had this one before, but I love DFH beers! I know there is a delicate balance on aging beer, but I bet this wasn't too bad without as much carbonation - anxious to see what you're going to drink for beer 1000!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I am having a REALLY hard time deciding what the beer might be but I think I am close!

      Delete
  2. Yet another beer I need to add to my list to try.

    ReplyDelete