Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Northwoods Life | Northern Lights


I have said it many of times we live in a pretty special little place in this great big world... Northern Wisconsin! From time to time we are lucky enough to get to see some awesome natural wonders and the Northern Lights aka Aurora Borealis happens to be one of them! 



Matt & I do our best to keep a look out (online) as to when they are predicted to make their appearances and on the very early morning of St.Patrick's Day they did just that!  While I was sound asleep Matt snuck out and arrived home near dawn to make coffee and show me some awesome shots he got. 



Throughout the day we kept tabs on the KP levels (the global geomagnetic storm index with a scale of 0 to 9) that helps predict when you might be able to see the Auroras... basically all day they were going strong into the evening so Matt went out again. The photos taken were from the early evening just before midnight on St.Patrick's Day 2015. Aren't they amazing!? 


Just one perk of living in Northern Wisconsin and near Upper Michigan, enjoy!

Credits | Author: Krista & Photography: Fornear Photo

21 comments:

  1. Nice Pictures! I wish I could see the NL in person :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are amazing if ever get the chance! They aren't always as vibrant in person as some of the images show but when you see them as well as how they move in the sky there is nothing like it!

      Delete
  2. I remember seeing the Northern Lights once when dad was driving my brother and me up to Hayward. I was totally creeped out until my dad explained what it was! I thought maybe we were being invaded by aliens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is TOO crazy you say that Krysten because this morning I went to go get coffee and the guy checking me out told me the same thing about a friend of his visiting from the south that saw them for the first time!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I really want to see them in person one day! You are lucky to live in such a wonderful place! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful.. I want to visit there one day.
    -DT
    http://hereiscribble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in a wonderful vacation destination for many (especially from the Chicago area lol) but if you ever can let me know!!

      Delete
  5. amazing!!! nature's wonder - so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! These are really neat photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the coolest thing. I am so jealous! I'm just glad you don't take it for granted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, no we don't! It really doesn't happen all of that often so when it does it's normally all over the news lol

      Delete
  8. GORGEOUS pictures! I just sat and stared at some of these. I'm so bummed I forgot you would be able to see it and went to bed that evening! How fun it was on St. Patrick's Day though - that seems fitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I know what you mean about them being on St.Patrick's Day, I thought that was crazy too!

      Delete
  9. I live in the Twin Cities and heard that the lights were going to make an appearance. I, unfortunately, haven't seen them yet! These pictures are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow..this is so amazing and dark shades of northern lights. Last time I visited Iceland and now I planned Fairbanks aurora viewing tours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post and pictures also. Yes..it is the wonderful view and I want to see. I like northern lights adventure also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post and I really liked it. To see northern lights then must book your Northern lights trip now.

    ReplyDelete