Thursday, March 19, 2015

Thirsty Thursday | Shakparo, Sprecher Brewing


After some recent over indulgence (looking a you Las Vegas) I am doing my best to embark on some healthier lifestyle changes and one is attempting to limit my carb and gluten intake. Sadly drinking beer isn't exactly conducive to these changes I am trying to make. Though my thought processes is more on the 90/10 plan... stick to my goals 90% of the time and indulge 10% of the time, so if that means one or two beers a week, hey than I am cool with it no guilt, follow? 

So I thought for this week's Thirsty Thursday we would drink our first ever featured gluten-free beer, Shakparo by Sprecher Brewing. I love telling people the history of this beer and I can't wait to share it with you! 


Basically if you are even remotely familiar with Milwaukee, WI (where Sprecher was founded 30yrs ago) than you would know that Milwaukee is the city of festivals celebrating every imaginable heritage as well as the largest music festival in the world Summerfest. Almost all of these festivals take place on the Summerfest grounds along Lake Michigan and downtown Milwaukee... (such a great venue might I had!) But back to the beer! Shakparo was originally brewed for one of these said festivals, African World Festival about 15yrs ago. Using only ingredients that were found in Africa like sorghum and millet (as wheat and barley do not grow there) this beer was derived. 


Since the time of it's inception Shakparo has grew largely in part because of the gluten-free movement in America. What I love telling people is how this beer was brewed to be a GREAT BEER, not just some gluten-free beer... so much so that it even won a metal at last year's World Beer Cup as being one of the best gluten-free beer in the world (only losing to a Belgian brewery), so effectively Shakparo is the #1 gluten-free beer in America! 


When you sip this beer I alway remind people you have to not exactly think about it in the traditional beer sense since it is brewed with different ingredients than most are used to. I almost liken the flavor a bit to a cider or farmhouse sour ale type largely in part due to the German hefeweizen style yeast strain used in the brewing process. At a mild 5.7% ABV the subtlety in this beer is fantastic if you are enjoying on it's own or with lighter foods. Though this style is not for everyone (an open mind might be required) it certainly is a great alternative to those of you out there that have Celiac disease, live gluten-free or are simply looking to try something new. Enjoy!

Credits | Author: Krista & Photography: Fornear Photo

6 comments:

  1. My husband is a bit of a beer snob lol, I bet he'd try this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's awesome! I get called that sometimes too but it's not a bad thing!

      Delete
  2. Oh there are so many beers out there..and I don't like any of them haha. I do try beer, I've tried so many beers but I haven't found one that I can drink yet.

    Summerfest Grounds is amazing. You haven't lived until you've seen your favorite band play right next to lake Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I get that a lot but thats ok!! I always tell people not everything is for everyone, right? There are lots of great craft ciders and cocktails out there that are local too!

      Delete
  3. We haven't liked many of the gluten free beers we've tried (thankfully we don't have to be gluten free but have friends who do) but this one actually sounds promising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I TOTALLY know where you are coming from on this!! Just try it with an open mind and not thinking it's going to be like a "normal" beer and you are all good ;-)

      Delete