Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Turntable Tuesday | U2, Achtung Baby


Have you ever had an entire album that has such a profound impact on you like none other, on your thinking perhaps, or even how it might define a time in your life? U2’s Achtung Baby was that album for me. A bit dark and moody, I love each and every song and played this cassette on repeat. At a very impressionable age, I spent much time behind a closed door of my bedroom listening to more music than most girls my age did, which I believe accounts for much of my taste and knowledge in music today.  


Coming out in late 1991 and releasing singles throughout 1992 & 1993 this couldn’t have been a more receptive time in my life (hello THIS was my generation’s “tween” music!) With such a powerful message both politically  emotionally and contemplatively and at a huge turning point in general within the music industry itself moving away from the upbeat, pop synth sounds of the 80’s to the raw, emotional rock of 90’s grunge U2 reinvested their sound setting themselves apart during this unique time. Maybe it was my age group, but for me 80’s music really was about having fun and being a kid and 90’s music started right when I was coming of age with the reality of what adulthood would start to shape up to be.  


VERY recently we acquired a used copy of Achtung Baby, something I honestly was not sure we would ever come across. My personal favorite being the creative rhythms behind Mysterious Way that just seems to lull your mind and mood taking you away to a whole new place. And of course you can’t forget about One, the ballot that in most critics opinion’s is the song that defines U2 as a band.  With 5 commercial singles all reaching great success on the charts and a Grammy win in 1993 for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal, Achtung Baby is widely considered by many to be their best album… clearly I fall into this category myself. Enjoy!


Credits | Author: Krista & Photography: Fornear Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment