Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Turntable Tuesday | Queens of the Stone Age, Era Vulgaris


Since going to see Queens of the Stone Age last week (and leading up to it) we have been blaring lots of new and old QOTSA! (The Riverside in Milwaukee is an awesome venue and they were AMAZING live... in case you were wondering!) A few months back I actually had found Era Vulgaris but then put it back when I thought the cover seemed to be damaged with what appeared to be a white rub ring around where the record was on the cover. After playing this album in the car and noticing that my iTunes image of the album had the same marking only did I realize this is how the artwork was intended and I knew I messed up. It took a bit to find this again but we did the night before we attended the concert, which was a great score!


Coming out in 2007 Era Vulgaris has one of my favorite QOTSA songs, 3’s & 7’s plus many other great hits like Sick, Sick, Sick and Make It Wit Chu. The name Era Vulgaris came from a Latin term for Common Era, though it that the band also liked that the word Vulgaris also in part because it sounds like the word vulgar. From my understanding this is also one of the last albums to be recorded at the historic Sound City Studios. The uniquely cartoony artwork features the characters of “Stumpy”, “Bulby” and friends inspired by advertorial sketchs from the 1950’s. Though panned a bit by critics I personally really enjoy it and would encourage anyone who loves QOTSA to check it out!


Credits | Author: Krista & Photography: Fornear Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment