Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Turntable Tuesday | The Shins, Wincing the Night Away


In our house we love The Shins! Like a good portion of Shins fans (including ourselves) we were introduced to their seducing and haunting melodies by the independent movie by Zach Braff, Garden State (in which the soundtrack went onto win a Grammy for as well). I think at this date we currently own 3 albums and before that we listened to all of their discography in it’s entirety on Spotify pretty regularly.  


Not that we exactly have a favorite Shins record but Wincing the Night Away certainly has our favorite song, which is Phantom Limb. I think between Matt and myself we could hear this song on repeat most days and never tire of it. Its funny how some songs just get you even though you don’t always know why, I think that’s how this song is for me. Maybe it’s the mention of 1995 a very influential year of my teenage years, yet I completely explain why. Though it’s also not hard to get hooked by other songs like Australia, Black Wave and Sea Legs. James Mercer simply can’t do wrong in the song writing department as far as I am concerned and the range of musical influences spans new wave, pop-synth, psychedelic and even hip-hop lending themselves to a highly original piece of work from start to finish, I would highly recommend giving Wincing the Night Away a spin today!


 Credits | Author: Krista & Photography: Fornear Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment