Monday, June 9, 2014

Travel | New York, New York – Washington Square Park


Ok, I will admit I am slightly embarrassed by the lack of photos we took while in New York. Being there for the first time was slightly overwhelming and for the most part all of my sisters and I really just wanted to “take it in”.  Our first day in the city I am not ashamed to say we actually took one of the city tour buses, which YES is very touristy in itself but it was a great way to get to known the lay of the land and the different neighborhoods specifically in Manhattan. Plus we couldn’t have asked for a more perfect 70 degrees and sunny day to be riding in the open air in one of the most amazing cities in the world!


Day two Sister Lisa couldn’t join us but Sister Michele and I made our way back down to the city via train again from Connecticut where we were staying and this day took advantage of our knowledge from the previous day even using the subway (which was awesome and not scary!) We got to walk a bit of Greenwich Village, Soho, Noho and the East Village…. It was relaxed and perfect.


One of our favorite spots where we finally did take out the camera was Washington Square Park. Bustling full of life and activity, from vendors to families to pets, it was a great place to just wander about at for a bit! Some quick history tidbits, the arch was originally meant to be a temporary fixture celebrating America’s first president George Washington’s centennial but it was loved so much that the design was slightly reconfigured and constructed so it could stay permanently. It is also said to be a very old cemetery with many bodies still buried benighted it’s grassy knolls. The southwest corner of the park is also home to all of the chess players seated on their benches made famous in movies and tv shows. I honestly think we could have stayed in this park all day if we had time, it was such an amazing place to be!




Credits | Author: Krista & Photography: Fornear Photo

2 comments:

  1. JEALOUS. I want to go somewhere fun! Oh wait.... we're going to Milwaukee next month, duh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milwaukee is an awesome place too!! My sisters and I try do a trip together somewhere different every year or two and though I have to admit New York was never on my list to travel to I rather enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete