Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Turntable Tuesday | Deftones, Around the Fur


I remember when I first started listening to the Deftones, it was in college, 1999 in Phoenix, Arizona to be exact. One of my funky fellow art student friends was really into them and at her urging I turned them on and liked what I heard! Though Around the Fur was the Deftones second album it was my first album to become acquainted with them.  


Clearly this album is one of their most recognizable due to the image on its cover. The story behind it from what I have read is that it was taken at a party the band was hosting and when they saw the image they proclaimed was what they wanted to use for the artwork. Unfortunately no one knew the identity of the women so they had to pursue tracking her down for her permission to use the photograph, which they were able to do and she obliged.


Notable for it’s songs My Own Summer (Shove It) and Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away) this whole album from start to finish really is a fantastic journey into the alternative metal sound. Being someone who loves metal the unique soft yet hard sound the Deftones create with Around the Fur really sets them not only apart from so many other bands but were really ahead of their time in the late 90’s when this was released. Give it a spin if you haven’t already!  


Credits | Author: Krista & Photography: Fornear Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment