Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Turntable Tuesday | Otis Redding, Pain In My Heart


Speaking of another soul gone too soon this week… Otis Redding. I have always enjoyed his music even during a time when I was much younger and didn’t fully appreciate or understand 60’s Soul music. Saying I have always had a thing for songs like These Arms of Mine (I mean WHO can forget the scene from the 80's classic Dirty Dancing with this 45 being playing!? But I digress....) Stand by Me, Hey Hey Baby, a cover of Louis Louis and even (Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay (actually released on a latter album and unfortunately posthumously album) would be an understatement. Pain In My Heart has always been one of the albums on my all time wish / must find list and even more luck for me this past Record Store Day I couldn’t believe it when it was announced to be rereleased for 2014 RSD… I just knew I had to have it! Thankfully I was one of the lucky ones that was able to swipe this up. 


Pain In My Heart was Otis’s first album released in 1964 to a positive reception. His gospel-esque voice lends itself to a the very powerful and raw feel that dominates this record and created his signature sound given this was his first album.  When I listen to this album it just transports you to another place, another time and its really one of the most wonderful things about what music in general can really do.  


Sadly only 3 short years later the amazing talent that was Otis Redding was lost on December 9, 1967 when inclement weather forced down his plane into the icy waters of Lake Monona in Madison, Wisconsin. The song (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay come out only a month later in January of 1968 and became Redding's lone single to reach the top spot on the charts, the first time in history a single did so posthumous.

Credits | Author: Krista & Photography: Fornear Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment